In This Episode: What Makes a Good Sauce and How to Make Sauces
Today, Meseidy and Rebecca get saucy and dish on what equipment you need to make a good sauce, how to make sauce, how to SAVE sauces you think you’ve ruined, what the Mother Sauces are, how to get creative with saucing, and WHY sauce is so important. Because it is. And they’re explaining it all!
Jacques Pepin’s Hollandaise Saving Trick
- Separate the mixture completely by stirring over heat.
- Tilt the pan and let rest for 5 minutes so the oily part comes to the top where it can be removed (but don’t discard).
- Start with 2 tsp of warm water in a bowl and add 1 tbsp of the thick sauce at a time, whisking in until smooth at each addition.
- Start adding back in the oily part, beating it in like you were making the sauce from the start.
- If any parts have scrambled, put through a strainer.